Complete Euphoria

Thursday 1 May 2008
So the GTA IV addiction has set in already. After buying the game yesterday and rushing home to play it I have to agree with the other critics. This is a modern classic and raises the bar for where games will go here on in.

What I found most interesting is the new Euphoria engine. Early previews suggested players and NPC would react naturally to their environment, which we of the gaming press hear all the time. Yet in actual fact these system rarely make good on their promises.

However, this is the real deal, the shit, absolute miller time!!

I actually shouted "Oh My God!" when this happened:

I'm making Nico run towards the bustling waterfront area of Broker (the game's equivalent of Brooklyn) while exploring and getting to grips with the sheer scale of the city. As I start sprinting at full pelt I clip this unfortunate sod with my arm, he then stumbles back over his own feet and rolls down a flight of stairs, bouncing off each individual stair with realtime physics and the kitchen sink thrown in.

Absolutely magnificent.

Not to piss on Half-Life 2's parade (because I'm a huge fan), but if Valve's 'Source' engine was the first step towards accurate real-time physics in a game then this is the final word.

It works, it's fully-functional and makes the city seem more organic and believable, truly breathtaking.

Now, all I'm wondering is what the price tag was for developing this piece of software, I shudder to think. Money well spent mind you!

Much love,

Dave

0 comments: